LVMWD has implemented water budgets to ensure that each customer has sufficient water for essential uses and sustainable landscaping. Additionally, LVMWD has adopted penalties for wasteful water use that exceeds 200% of a customer's water budget. The penalties escalate as wasteful water use continues and are designed to provide a signal that water use needs to be reduced.
When wasteful-usage occurs the following penalties apply:
- First Offense – A written warning is issued.
- Second Offense – A penalty of $2.50 per billing unit (1 hcf) will be applied to all water used in excess of twice the customer’s established water budget.
- Third (and additional) offense(s) – A penalty of $5.00 per billing unit (1 hcf) will be applied to all water used in excess of twice the customer’s established water budget.
Customers who receive penalty notifications will have an opportunity to appeal within 15 days of receiving notice and may defer payment of the disputed amount pending a decision of the appeal. Appeals may be granted, waiving the penalty, if the excessive water use is caused by:
- A failure of the District’s water system or a billing error.
- The water was needed for a health, safety and/or livestock reason; an adjustment should be requested to the water budget.
- The result of a leak on the customer’s property as described in the District’s Leak Adjustment Policy.